Skip to content

Bank giro account


In Germany, every family has to have its own bank account / current account so that money for the family (e.g. wages, unemployment benefit (Arbeitslosengeld), income support benefits (Sozialhilfe), child benefit (Kindergeld)) can be transferred to this account.

The same account can also be used to pay rent, electricity and telephone bills.

  • Therefore, you need to open a current account with a bank (e.g. Sparkasse, Volksbank, Postbank or other)

Opening a current account

Where?A bank of your choice
What will you need?
  • Passport or ID card
  • Residence permit (Aufenthaltstitel)
What will you receive?

A bank card with an account number

Keep this in a safe place!