Skip to content

Parents’ allowance (Elterngeld)

Mothers or fathers are eligible for parents’ allowance after the birth of their child, if:


  • They live in Germany and have a valid residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis)
  • They can provide for the child themselves
  • They live in the same household as their child
  • They do not work, or do not work more than 30 hours a week
  • They are studying or completing a traineeship/apprenticeship

Parents’ allowance is paid for a maximum of 14 months.


Further information is available on

Application for parents’ allowance


Jugend- und Sozialamt, Wirtschaftliche Jugendhilfe

What will you need?

  • Completed and signed application for parents’ allowance
  • Copy of your residence permit
  • Original birth certificate of the child for whom the parents’ allowance is being applied
  • Copies of the birth certificates of any other children under 6 living in the same household
  • Proof of employment or copies of income statements from the last 12 calendar months prior to the birth
  • Confirmation from the health insurer regarding the payment of maternity benefits
  • Copy of the latest confirmation regarding the payment of social benefits or income supplements

What will you receive?

  • Confirmation regarding the amount and duration of the parents’ allowance
    (Keep this in a safe place!)

For more information, please contact L-Bank Karlsruhe:
Tel.: 0800 6645471, e-mail: familienfoerderung(at)